Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chick-Flick Anime...

1. Chick-Flick Anime...

I'm a sappy loser.

I love this stuff. Sakura Diaries was one of my favorite series'. El Hazard (Not quite a chick-flick, but still...). Yesterday, I found a new one. His and Her Circumstances. I LOVE this show!

Anyone else into this sissy stuff?

C'mon, you can admit it...
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Sakura Diaries is awesome !! One of my anime faves, easily. I'm just waiting until I get sick this summer so I have time to watch it all over again I don't see much chance of getting sick, though...

I am really really looking forward to His and Her Circumstances. My box DVD 1 should be here any day now.

I also enjoyed Love Hina volume 1

Not a sissy,
    - Kabuki

3. I bet you would like Fushigi Yugi (The Mysterious Play). Its a long series that's like a book. Its a touching story and is very dramatic, but also has action as well. Its a very cool anime to pick up, but expensive if you want the DVDs.

4. Nice sig Station.

Would Tenchi or Utena be considered chick stuff? I'd think Utena would be. How about Urusai Yatsura?
    pwned by Ivan

5. Yes, I watch a fair amount of shoujo anime. First off, Sakura Diaries, El Hazard, Love Hina, Tenchi and Urusei Yatsura are not shoujo. Some have a heavy kawaii content, but they aren't targeted towards girls. Especially Sakura Diaries...TONS of fanservice in that (not that there's anything wrong with that, I like that series a lot too).

With that out of the way, His and Her Circumstances is probably my favorite shoujo series, so good pick there. Utena is definately shoujo too, with a strong lesbian bent. I've seen maybe the first dozen eps and its interesting. The US licensor (CPM? I forget) just got the rights to the rest of the series so expect to see it for sale here pretty soon. I've been holding off buying any dvds of it for that reason. Fruits Basket is a new favorite of mine. Its directed by Akitaro Daichi, who also directed Now and Then Here and There. FUNimation is set to release it this year. Another Daichi shoujo series you might want to check out is Jubei-chan. Tenshi ni Narumon (I'm Gonna be an Angel) isn't exactly shoujo, but its close enough that I'll lump it in here. It starts off really cute and light, but starts to turn around as the series goes on.

I'm forgetting a lot and glossing over everything, but that should be a start.

6. I almost put Fushigi Yugi in there, but I thought it might come out of the wood-work...

I have the 2 disk DVD set. Not the Suzaki box, or the other box whose name escapes me at this time. I think it's the OVA's? Anyway, I like that a lot. It reminds me of The Neverending Story somewhat.

I didn't really mean for the thread to only encompass anime targeted at girls, just some of the more sappy stuff.

And, thanks on some of the recommendations.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. I see...so shoujo anime is basically chick-flick fare, eh? I got yer shoujo right here:

-Tenchi Forever
    -Anything Ah! My Goddess related
    -Sakura Wars/Taisen
    -Sailor Moon(duh)
    -Cardcaptor Sakura
    -Pretty Sammy
    -Maze
    -Earthian

8. Almost anything CLAMP is pretty sappy. Well, maybe not X/1999 or Chobits though.

9. Originally posted by Station
    Almost anything CLAMP is pretty sappy. Well, maybe not X/1999 or Chobits though.
    add Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland to that too.

one chick-flick i can remember seeing (and owning) is Please Save My Earth. those damn pretty boys. and that Rin is so annoying, always messing with Alice!! and i'm not very sure if you can call it shoujo (creator is a shoujo artist, also worked on [A, A']), but They Were 11 was damn good. now if only someone would release it on dvd...

10. Station, Phoenix, you guys rock. I've been trying to tell people about the goodness that is FY, but nobody wants to hear it. I've got all the eps on DVD... My friend sent me ALL of it on Fansubs in 1997(Either 97 or 98) Except for the 2nd ova. I must say that was the single anime that punted me into fanboydome. I heard something about a 3rd Ova series called somethin like Fushigi Yuugi: Gaiden. Anybody heard about this?